Re: Big W on DVD

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "john kuzloski" <jkuzloski@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 9:36 PM
Subject: Big W on DVD

> Well, 1 cut on a DVD anyway.  I just got it in the
> mail from Stefan Grossman's Guitar outfit.  Vestapol's
> "Legends of the Delta Blues" is on DVD -- Son House,
> Bukka White, more. (I suspect it has been out on video
> for awhile, so many of you may already be aware of
> this footage.)  Walter Horton is playing with Johnny
> Shines and Hoeneyboy Edwards on Love of Mine.
>
> First BW footage for me -- what a treat! And I get to
> look at him one "frame" at a time rockin' back and
> forth on his chair.  At one point he takes a drag on a
> cigarette and exhales quickly enough to get back in on
> the turnaround -- cigarette between fingers of his
> right hand as he closes his cup.  I'll hafta try that
> -- and I don't even smoke!  Walter and Honeyboy are
> clearly enjoying themselves.  Walter is on camera most
> of the time -- seems like the camera would like him;
> he's compelling.  He plays some of that high end fast
> melodic stuff, and of course great tone -- even when
> his right hand is reaching for the cigarette!
>
> Fellow gearheads:  even frame by frame I couldn't see
> what (if any) amp he was using.  Mike was wand style,
> but covered with a dark insulation-like "tube."  I
> couldn't get a good look at the head of the mike, but
> my guess is 57 style not ball style.
>
> Anyway, this may be old hat for many of you, but for
> me, it's a great treat!  Anybody know if more footage
> from that session is available?  Or any other BW
> session for that matter?   --john k.

John,
I've seen Big Walter personally many times during the 70's, and played thru
whatever was available, be it a borrowed amp, PA or anything else, never
screwing with any of the controls or effects, and regardless of all that, he
ALWAYS sounded like himself with that awesome tone. I learned more about
blues harmonica from watching him than from all the recordings I ever
bought.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA