Re: Big W on DVD

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Crowley" <Mark.Crowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <jkuzloski@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 12:21 AM
Subject: Re: Big W on DVD

hi bob,

was that the same for mics - he would play thru vocal mics or bullets? - or
it didn't matter?

I have seen some photos of him using only vocal mics - but that doesn't mean
anything of course - just what he was waving around in front of a
photographer.

crowley

Hi Mark,
He did carry some of his own mics including crystal JT30's (which he hipped
me into using instead of the ceramics), a couple of Calrads, when he was
going to be using a borrowed amp, and even used the borrowed amp along with
the mic that was hooked up with it, as well as using vocal mikes. Bottom
line: it really didn't matter, especially when I saw him get the exact same
sound out of the PA as he did through the amp he was playing through that
night when I first saw him at the long defunct Bunratty's in Boston, MA,
back in the summer of 1975. When I saw Howlin' Wolf  two years earlier, and
as far as I'm concerned, he had the heaviest, baddest, nastiest blues
harmonica tone these ears have ever heard, he ALWAYS played through the PA
with whatever mike was available to him at the moment, the very same one he
was singing through, and these two things taught me right off the bat that
gear is TOTALLY meaningless if the acoustic chops and tone ain't there in
the first place, and that's why when I hear all these players so obsessed
with gear, I almost want to burst out laughing because what I saw is the
REAL secret, and gear is very secondary.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com