Re: re--do i need a copy right license to submit a cover song for compilation

Randy - very neat indeed!

However, I tried it with some semi-obscure Canadian trad artists, and
found that it may not cover everything I want. For instance, fiddler
Ward Allen wrote a number of tunes. some of which I'm recording. His
most famous, Maple Sugar, came up, but they had his name backwards as
Allen Ward. (Ward Allen brings up a banjoist connected with southern
1930s stringbands). But none of his other compositions came up.

I wonder what the mechanism would be for seeking out rights to some
of the more obscure tunes, whether blues, fiddle tunes, or whatever.
Trad artists often treat them like public domain tunes when they
record (sometimes they're unaware of where the tunes come from), but
if somebody owns a copyright, I don't think that's either fair or
wise.

Still, a marvelous resource in accessibility and ease of use.

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, randysinger <randy@xxxx>
wrote:

In trying to assist you, let me verify your question. It seems you
want
to record a cover of a song that was written and recorded by someone
else so that you can put it on a cd of your own.,,,,,,,

If this is the case, the solution and legal recourse is very easy.

Go to

Songfile.com.

type in the song you want to cover, it will come up. Then you will
type
in how many copies you intend to print and it calculates the cost (it
is very little) and you put in your credit card number and, viola,
you
are now legally permitted to sell your copies of someone else's
songs!!

I have a song from Elton John that I used on my Harmonica Dreams CD.
This is a great site that is designed to simplify our lives.

peace and harps,

randy singer
www.randysinger.com