re--do i need a copy right license to submit a cover -OBSCURE SONGS

Dear Winslow,

What I have done in the past is to locate a copy of the LP or CD or
liner notes. I look at the publisher of the song I want and look up the
phone number of the publisher. I call the publisher, tell them how many
copies I wish to make and then send a check, usually for a small
amount.

Here is the small catch-- because many publishing companies have been
taken over by larger publishing concerns, sometimes you may have to get
the latest liner notes of the LP/CD to find who holds the publishing
currently. Or else, sometimes one publishing company can tell you who
they sold it to.

PLUS- if two publishing companies share a copyright, which is quite
often, they will tell you what percent is owned by which company and
then you write two checks totaling the sum. This does not cost extra,
just the cost of a stamp and the extra check.

As always, it comes down to research.

Hope it helps a little,

randy singer

www.randysinger.com

Begin forwarded message:

>>> I wonder what the mechanism would be for seeking out rights to some
>>> of the more obscure tunes, whether blues, fiddle tunes, or whatever.
>>> Trad artists often treat them like public domain tunes when they
>>> record (sometimes they're unaware of where the tunes come from), but
>>> if somebody owns a copyright, I don't think that's either fair or