Re:teaching

What I have to say comes from many years of teaching subjects other than
music, studying voice and improvisation extensively, and playing harp many
years. I have taught harp a little.
One possible solution to talking and teaching (or trying to teach) too much
is planning.
First lay out a sequential program of what you think everyone needs to learn
if learning from scratch. Think in terms of looping and reinforcing lessons,
of joining new with old material. I had a wonderful voice teacher who would
work on a new technique until I ALMOST had it down completely (minus a lot
of performance experience) then begin a new, related, extension of the
issue.
Two: Plan each lesson. Take into account playing time. Give the student time
to "just play," to jam regardless of the level, using what has been learned
that and previous days.
Be prepared to edit, edit, and edit some more in both of these steps. Each
lesson should have a laser-like focus, yet be flexible to add work on other
things that come up. Or be prepared to say, "We'll work on that very soon"
and get a lesson together on the problem or issue or need raised by the
student, if you don't already have one. Can't have too many lesson plans.
Three: Stay on track. Challenge without overwhelming. You want to bring the
students a small step or two beyond where they were when they walked in.
Give the student something to practice.
Four: My friend here in the Cleveland area, Dave Morrison,
(www.HarpLessons.com) has wonderful teaching aids. Charts of the layouts of
harps, customized CDs for practicing, and more. Be prepared.
Keep notes on each student, what they have done and what you want to
introduce next.
Give it a go again. Sounds like you have a lot to offer.
Harmonica Blu
BluXpres@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.HarmonicaBluXpress.com