Re: was Big Walter back to gear and tone

rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The tone comes from the player. That being said, I
find the compression from a good tube amp helps-it covers some of my faults. I
also like a hot mic for the same reason. Doesn't give me that tone, just helps
me  compensate a little.

Rainbow Jimmy
This is an honest post about the nature of a lot of equipment. Some equipment
helps mask certain deficiencies in technique and ability. I know from years
of playing bass that alot of guitar player would layer their sound with effects
and the like to cover up their lack of ability, distortion does this as well
to a degree ( Think of the analogy of some ugly broad throwing a bunch of make
up on her face to somehow look better- it doesn't work!). If you are using
equipment to cover up a certain lack in ability and/or sound it is in all
honesty the wrong road to go down. When I was playing bass I made it my goal after
about 3 years of playing to shun all effects and focus strickly on a great
clean sound that would fit in almost any situation. I practicised and worked on
that and out of came a nice, tight sound that recorded well and live was nearly
unbeatable.

I see much of the same thing with harmonica, there is always a notion that
somehow that the gear will be able to mask deficiencies in skill or sound. I am
here to tell you that it does not and anyone advertising this angle is handing
out snake oil (remember the analogy). Great players with a great sound do not
typically come naturally, it is the product of trial and error. Little
Walter's sound was the work of years of playing and development with other
musicians. It did not come by a particular mic or amp combination, but from day after
day of playing. Advice for up and coming players is this:

1. Find musicians who are well versed in what they do and emulate their
example.
2. Hang around musicians who love the music and would still be playing it
even if they weren't getting paid.
3. Buy as many records from great musicians as possible and spend hours
listening to them. Listening to alot of music is the key to becoming a great
player.
4. Buy as many Little Walter CD's or records you can get your hands on.
Everything you need to know about harmonica is found in Little Walter's records.
5. Be serious about what you play and do not treat it like a hobby. If you
are not serious about what you do, why should anyone else take you seriously?

I hope this helps to some degree,

Thanks,

Andrew