Re: Deford Bailey (Long)

>From: "M. N." <mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Meanwhile, there's another interesting story I just found. Not on Bailey
>per se, but on other blacks in country music. It's at
>http://www.NashvilleCityPaper.com/index.cfm?section=12&screen=news&news_id=31074

I was channel surfing last night and saw a program on CMT called "Waiting in
the Wings: African Americans in Country Music." It's a documentary about
black contributions to the development of country music. There was a good
segment of the program devoted to Deford Bailey, including a film clip of
him performing in his later years. That man could do a mean train-imitation
on harp.

One thing the program brought up was how, even after all these years, in our
present-day "enlightened" age, Bailey is still not in the Country Music Hall
of Fame.

The show was well-produced. I just checked CMT's web site (cmt.com) and
it'll be shown again Saturday night at 9:30 ET/PT.

Jimbeau