Was:Re: was Big Walter back to gear and tone Now : Dialing in that " Tone " Thang

Ray Bletran Sez :

>Ray Beltran <raybeltran@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>It's not that simple...

Then he quoted " rainbowjimmy " :

&

>We ran through a number where I did some vocals. I noticed a perplexed >look on the soundman

>Seems I had accidentally picked up Cotton's harp mic

& finally

>The mic I was using sounded just plain awful for vocals, as Cotton >had it EQ'd for harp. Seems he spends just as much effort getting his >"through the board"sound dialed in as I do with my amp.

Hurricane Sez :

" These observations Ray Beltran picked up on and elaborated on are a great lesson to pick up on , they are obvious to a seasoned harp player pro or semi pro .

Hey Rainbow Jimmy :

How did you feel after learning this fact of the vocals sounding terrible on Cotton's mic when you were going through your sound check ? And have you ever been in a similar situation and if you were what you do ? :-) How did you like the difference ?

Ray Compa :

A great point made by you about the fact that you can use just about any mic set up and gear set up out there and get superb results .

James Cotton's way is the way of the serious pro or semi pro harp player as far as realizing what you need to do to what gear that is available at the place YOUR playing at to make a buck or a big time impression on a babe and or friends ( mom is included here ). You know James has great pride in his work as all accomplished electric and or acoustic pros (: semi pro's too :) have when it comes to making sure they deliver the goods to the audience when that down beats says you just clocked into work .

Folks who use Shure Bros. SM-57's and the like are going to gravitate towards ( if they know their stuff ) to something like a Fender Bassman who's forté in sound is - - - BASS - - - so the marriage of the high frequency nature of that beast " SM-57's " edgy sound is not harsh but the opposite occurs in a Bassman system ( or a little ole Ampeg , older experienced  electric harpers loves them old little Ampegs as well as the larger ones for the same reason as a Bassman with a SM-57 or the like ) . So what's a guy like Cotton gonna do when he arrives one night off the road and his gear is either lost or stolen or what ever ( like an un scheduled surprise gig pops up and you WANT the $ $ $  and your in one place and your gear's is in an other airport in an other state or county or country ! or for that matter across town  in your home ) what's a man to do ? . Realize that you can get close to what you want if you know how to inform and instruct a " sound guy " how to dial in th!
e best E.Q. for what ever microphone you happen to have there to use and that's it  .

This is a hands on issue and to be enjoyed as you learn the process , as I have said to all who will read and take in and digest my rant(s)  saying it over and over :

" Enjoy the ride , the first time around in anything is never as good the second  time  around when it comes to the mysterious , the exotic and the rarities of life's little pleasures that result in big time personal achievements  , so enjoy that " next " step when it stumbles along .... you will begin to  recognize them as you usually hit that proverbial " WALL " , .... when you hit it smile .... your on your way to  the next level ......... And crossing into new musical horizons . "

In closing :

I have been there and done that kind of on the spot emergency figuring out the sound quality mix , net results , I was happy , the crowd was happy , and sometimes I got really happy when I got lucky with a babe ( of course we're talking when I was a single man or nights mom was there and like what I did on stage , mom's a tuff sell sometimes :-) , either way and I always got paid and was proud of the performance I delivered and usually was asked back .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx