RE: Big W equipment (was Big W on DVD)

Tom Ball shared his extensive research about Big Walter's Equipment:
> Big Walter's Mics:
8<... (clippage)
> Big Walter's Amplifiers:
8<... (more ruthless clippage)

No need to repeat the detailed information.  I'd only say that it did seem
to support the notion that Walter sounded like superb Walter no matter what
mic' or amp he used (though I am partial to those old Princetons and chose
mine based on Walter's history with them).

> Big Walter's Effects:
8<... (clippage to the point of appearing to be disrespectful)

First let me apologize profoundly for the ruthless clippage.  Tom's was a
long and detailed post that I couldn't bring myself to carve all up.  It's a
very nice article that deserves archival (I know I have my copy stashed
away).  'Sides, I think Tom Ball is one of the greatest harpers alive.

Now, to my point (and there is a point, really  ;).  In terms of the effects
the Chicago harpers used, I have read that Leonard Chess mic'ed an empty
tiled closet (or bathroom, I can't recall which) that had a speaker in it
carrying the desired instruments to get natural reverb effect on many of the
famous and historic Chess sides.  I love a resourceful person, and Leonard
was nothing if he wasn't that.

Thanks for the great info again, Tom!

Michelle