Dialling in your tone...

- --Apple-Mail-2--621843819

Actually, I think the story about Cotton proves two things. First of
all that, yes, you need to have your tone together acoustically but
that, secondly, once you have it together, you'll refine your choice of
gear and the way you use to optimise your natural tone.

If Cotton didn't have his own preference for gear, he'd just show up
and use whatever was there. But he doesn't do that. He comes prepared
with the equipment that he thinks/knows will give him the best sound.

It's like the story that Gary Smith tells about wanting to hear Junior
Wells play through a bullet/tweed amp combo like he did in the 50's.
Wells said okay and played a couple of notes before making a face,
putting down the mic and going through the vocal mic the way he had for
decades.

cheers
Andrew