Re: Dialing in that " Tone " Thang

Mojo Red wrote:
> Accoustic tone is what you really need to develop.
> Amped tone is great, but it ain't nuthin' without
> good acoustic tone. Good accoustic tone will make a
> fair amp sound GREAT. Great accoustic tone will
> make ANYTHING sound great.

Thanks, Ken. The two go hand in hand, but this fact gets lost somehow. It's
not simply a matter of plugging in a "wailing away." Not until I tapped into
my internal resonance did my tone and power begin to develop.

Andrew Wimhurst wrote:
> Actually, I think the story about Cotton proves two things. First of
> all that, yes, you need to have your tone together acoustically but
> that, secondly, once you have it together, you'll refine your choice of
> gear and the way you use to optimise your natural tone.

And you nailed it, too, Andrew. It all comes together this way. You can't
have one without the other. A good player will know what works best for
them, and have the ear and experience to extract the best sound possible
whatever the gear or circumstance. Picking the right tool for the right job.

Let me add one other thing. At the physical/mechanical interface, good mic
technique is also important. I've seen a number of guys who had great
acoustic tone, but couldn't get a dang thing out of the mic. Some of these
guys have resorted to using some sort of mic-in-palm device, rather than
take the time learn how to properly use a bullet mic. There's an altogether
different sound when you hit a large diaphragm element, as opposed to a
small condenser mic.

And, for the record, cuz it looks like somehow Rainbow Jimmy got tossed in
the mix, quoted for something he did not say...it was I, Ray, who posted the
following:

> It's not that simple...
>
> The time we opened for Cotton, I witnessed first hand just how serious these
> guys are when it comes to their sound, even when using a simple vocal mic.
> We all got there early for the soundcheck, and Cotton spent quite some
> having the soundman dial in the mic he was to use to play harp through.
> After him and his band had finished, we took the stage and began our check.
> We ran through a number where I did some vocals. I noticed a perplexed look
> on the soundman, and after scratching his head for a while, he finally had
> us stop. There seemed to be a very definite problem with the mix. Seems I
> had accidentally picked up Cotton's harp mic to sing through, as it was
> positioned just next to the mic I was supposed to use for vocals. The mic I
> was using sounded just plain awful for vocals, as Cotton had it EQ'd for
> harp. Seems he spends just as much effort getting his "through the board"
> sound dialed in as I do with my amp. Ray.

Just wantin' to set the record straight.

Ray.