Buckeye jazz

Jack Ely wrote:

>What a great opening for a Buckeye Harmonica Festival plug <snip>
>Friday is Jazz night - William Galison, Randy Weinstein
>and Chris Bauer on the program -- then at 11:30 a two hour jazz jam
>(we've come to call it Jazz Cabaret - don't miss it)

Jack, have you hired the indispensable Carrolbeth True again to back up the
participants?  She's amazing.

I wasn't at Buckeye last year, but the year before that I played my one jazz
tune at the Jazz Cabaret.  If the same format is going to be followed this
year, it gives people the completely wrong impression to call it a jam.  To
me, at least, a jam involves a number of musicians soloing on a given tune.
The Cabaret format had harmonica players signing up in advance.  When a
player's name was reached, he or she called a tune and played it with the
backing band.  Only the player calling the tune got to play on that tune.
It was more a series of individual performances than a jam.

I do not think one format is better than the other.  I am just wondering
which it will be this year.

George