Re: Buckeye jazz

Hi George,

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "George Brooks" <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx>

> Jack Ely wrote:
>
> >What a great opening for a Buckeye Harmonica Festival plug <snip>
> >Friday is Jazz night - William Galison, Randy Weinstein
> >and Chris Bauer on the program -- then at 11:30 a two hour jazz jam
> >(we've come to call it Jazz Cabaret - don't miss it)
>
> Jack, have you hired the indispensable Carrolbeth True again to back up
the
> participants?  She's amazing.

Of course, along with a great local combo - you've got to hear (and see)
Tisha Simeral on stand up bass. http://home.earthlink.net/~tishasimeral/

> I wasn't at Buckeye last year, but the year before that I played my one
jazz
> tune at the Jazz Cabaret.  If the same format is going to be followed this
> year, it gives people the completely wrong impression to call it a jam.
> me, at least, a jam involves a number of musicians soloing on a given
tune.
> The Cabaret format had harmonica players signing up in advance.  When a
> player's name was reached, he or she called a tune and played it with the
> backing band.  Only the player calling the tune got to play on that tune.
> It was more a series of individual performances than a jam.

That's why we now call it Jazz Caberet. - It's evolved into a show of it's
own.
Actually it's supposed to be a little of both with opportunities for folks
to sign up for the 1st hour or so and then turning the tall dogs loose. I've
given this job to Ruth Friscoe and she will do a great job hosting it.

> I do not think one format is better than the other.  I am just wondering
> which it will be this year.
>
> George

Hope this answers your questions and hope you are here.

Jack