Quality control

I just installed a new set of plates - G major diatonic - in a Lee Oskar.
Not something I have to do very often - the set I was replacing had lasted
through 2 and a half years' heavy use.  Until I'd done a LOT of tweaking of
the new reeds the harp was unplayable - mainly due to reeds choking.  Four
blow reeds and one draw reed had virtually no gap (couldn't slide the gauge
underneath) and a low draw reed had too much.  And this isn't just the harp
not suiting me - the gapping was woefully inconsistent.  Several reeds were
significantly out of tune too, one by a very audible 12 cents flat.  There
were some pretty rough gouge-marks on several reeds, and one reed looked
distorted - though these reeds seem to play OK.

I like the robustness and longevity of LOs - but to be honest, I'd rather
pay a bit more if it means better quality control.  Anyone not into
reed-tweaking would have had a real issue with this set of plates!

Steve Shaw.

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica