Funny thing about learning bends...

As a novice who's only been playing a few weeks and having difficulty with bending I'd
decided to concentrate mainly on learning the layout. I'd just been thinking to myself,
learning these bends is going to take a while...

Well, I'd washed the slide of my cheapo Swan chromatic (unvalved) in water, and there
was still a lot of it in the harp when I started playing. I thought, what the hell, it'll get
blown and sucked out, I'll just keep playing. A lot of draw notes were stuck because of
the water, but as they started to come free and I played on regardless, I noticed a funny
thing - they were bending by themselves! I took advantage of this, of course, and
introduced bends left right and centre, wherever they were easy. Now that the harp's
dried out I have a lot more bending facility than I did before!

Obviously this might not be something you're going to want to do with your gold-plated
super-harp, but it seems like a neat shortcut on an expendable one. I haven't read
about it on either the chromatic or the diatonic reference site, so I wondered if anyone
has had this experience too?

- -Keith Freeman