Re: Funny thing about learning bends...

Soaking diatonics used to be a fairly widespread practice for people
into blues harp.  Legend has it that Rice Miller (Sonny Boy II) did it.
Tony Glover recommended it in the first book I ever saw on playing blues
harp.  (He claimed to soak his in vodka.)  He claimed it was mandatory
for acoustic harp in order to get necessary volume.  The water (or
vodka) caused the wooden comb to swell, making the harp more airtight,
thus requiring less wind for volume, making bends easier, etc.
Then at some point in time, the practice started to be frowned upon
(maybe around the time the cost of a Marine Band climbed past $10?).  A
soaker ceased to be hip and was considered a hoople.  People started
noticing how much it shortened the life of the harmonica, as well as
causing the wood comb to swell past the cover plates and rip your lips
up.  I suspect it was a combination of the rising cost of harmonicas and
the growing number of high quality plastic comb harps which led to the
decline of this practice.
Never heard of people doing it with chromatics, though.

Russ