RE: [harp-l] Show report-Little Charlie and the Nightcats (longish)

- --Apple-Mail-2--14515335

Michelle,
Thanks for the detailed gig review. Estrin is probably my all-time
favourite harp player. I believe the mic he uses is one that he got
from Dennis Gruenling. I know that he uses crystal mics only, so I
think it's a chromed GB with crystal element (maybe 707a?) with a
switchcraft 1/4" connector.
I was surprised to hear that he was using a Harpking, but there ya go.
I thought they'd made everyone sound ultra-compressed - was that the
case?
Estrin's acoustic cup is ass-backwards but it does enable a very tight
seal for the SBWII stuff.
Thanks again,
Andrew

> [...]
> call-responses, he suddenly played a really complex series of wah-wah
> notes
> that left the audience with their jaws dropped. He waved them off and
> chuckled and had the house following suit. Great performer and front
> man,
> Rick Estrin. Great singer and songwriter, too. Really makes me feel
> left
> out in the cold seeing someone that talented. Humph! No, really it was
> pleasure to behold.
>
> What can you say about Charlie Baty? I read a review in which his
> playing
> as described as that of Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy combined. I don't
> now
> about that, but I'll admit witnessing virtuosity of that order leaves
> me
> pretty much without adequate adjectives to describe his playing.
> Lightning
> quick, able to switch into any style of playing with equal ease and
> expertise, Charlie Baty has given me an eye-popping show each time I
> have
> seen him. Thing is, like many great groups, the Nightcat's recordings,
> as
> good as they are, are simply an inadequate means to convey the musical
> breadth and depth and excitement of their live performances. Just to
> give
> you an idea, Rick let the rest of the band have the stage at the
> beginning
> and end of each set. During these times, Charlie and the drummer and
> bass
> player really lit the afterburners. Each of these guys is a stellar
> musician in their own right; literally some of the best I've seen at
> each
> instrument. And they get into that special kind of synergism when they
> play
> together. Anyway, during one of these three-man configurations, Charlie
> rips into a medley of surfer guitar tunes you would not believe! The
> crowd
> went nuts, and I was right there with 'em. Not the sort of thing you'd
> expect from a California Jump blues band. Or is it? With Little Charlie
> And The Nightcats, you can expect anything and everything, especially a
> great show. Catch 'em whenever you can.
>
> One thing really irked me, though. :) None of 'em ever even worked up a
> sweat! A mile high and they were cool as cucumbers. Estrin blew his
> brains
> out and still had wind to spare and nary a bead of sweat was to be
> seen.
> And he did it in a suit and tie. Maybe there ~are~ some health
> benefits to
> touring as actively as they do. I'd say it was the all the heavy
> breathing
> Rick does, but the rest of the guys were dry as bones, too. I know I
> wasn't--I got all worked up boogie'n right along with 'em.

- --Apple-Mail-2--14515335

Thanks for the detailed gig review. Estrin is probably my all-time
favourite harp player. I believe the mic he uses is one that he got
from Dennis Gruenling. I know that he uses crystal mics only, so I
think it's a chromed GB with crystal element (maybe 707a?) with a
switchcraft 1/4" connector.

I was surprised to hear that he was using a Harpking, but there ya go.
I thought they'd made everyone sound ultra-compressed - was that the
case?

Estrin's acoustic cup is ass-backwards but it does enable a very tight
seal for the SBWII stuff.

Thanks again,

Andrew

<excerpt>RE: [harp-l] Show report-Little Charlie and the Nightcats
(longish)