Books?

This one got misdirected to the listowner's box, so I'll restate.

Douglas Tate posted yesterday, mentioning his books.  I'm a really rank
beginner with a chromatic harp, yet Play The Harmonica Well--it arrived here
Friday--seems geared to people who already have technical adeptness.  I'm
not unmusical, I've played woodwinds for years, but I'm untrained in the
harmonica.  I picked up the Mel Bay book on the chromatic yesterday and for
stuff like embouchure, etc., it says "See the Diatonic method book."  Hello.

Where is the best place to start to get at the BASICS: grip, breathing,
notes single and chorded?  IS there a best place?  Ideally I'd like to meet
someone who plays already, but I'm in a rather isolated corner of the New
Jersey Shore.  Is there a single book that is applicable to both diatonic
and chromatic (I'm not even gonna mention tremolo:-)?

Any advice will be considered and appreciated.

Ken
"If you think you're in control, try giving orders to your cat."--Anonymous
Kenneth Wolman        http://www.kenwolman.com
http://kenwolman.blogspot.com