Re: Dialing in that " Tone " Thang

Mark Crowley wrote:

>tha'ts sounding interesting- i had kept all that stuff Pat wrote in case it
>came in useful for when (if) I got better - I was sure it was all for pros -

I'm not sure that everybody really needs to know all the technical
fine details of tuning and temperament, but I think that all players
should at least have such some idea that there are different ways to
fine tune a harmonica and that this has a noticeable effect on the way
the instrument sounds. I've heard lots of stories from people who
bought an electronic tuner, retuned all their harps so that each reed
read was "in perfect tune", then wondered why all their harps sounded
funny afterwards and couldn't figure out what they had done wrong.

I think that knowing the difference between just and tempered is at
least as important as knowing the difference between crystal and
ceramic elements, solid state and tube amps, etc.

 -- Pat.