RE: XB40 vs Suzuki Promaster valved

I recommend getting Jerry Portnoy's Harmonica Masterclass at
www.harpmaster.com
Follow up immediately or even simultaneously with David Barrett's "Complete
Classic Chicago Blues" which teaches basic blues techniques with a touch of
musical theory.  This is easily the best way to get started, I think.

As an alternative, there's also Jon Gindick'S "Rock'N Blues Harmonica"
which teaches you some basic beginning riffs, and you go from there.  He
uses a fun, almost child-like approach to keep it simple.  It's worthwhile.

Hambone