was RE: jazz jam, top three - it's an uphill battle

First off,  I have yet to attend a decent jazz jam in our area -
Almost all of jazz cats I've met locally are not very
capable....maybe you were some place different then I've been so let
me know where you went and I'll join you next time.

Even with mediocre jazzers, as a diatonic harmonica player you will
have an uphill battle to gain respect. Everybody immediately thinks a
person can't play jazz on the harp - most can't. You're not helping
your situation by being a good coutry and blues guy with limited jazz
knowledge.  What you need to do it learn a couple of easy standards
and be able to play them in whatever key the band wants.  YOU have to
be the flexible one and YOU have to be the better musician if you
want any respect. In the jazz community, without respect, you're as
good as dead.

I suggest you learn:
Blue Bossa
Autumn Leaves
My Funny Valentine
Lady be good
and learn to play a jazz blues.

you could even try impressions or so what and switch harps the the 4
bar 1/2 step change.

These are all very simple songs and if played well, few will question
your jazz ability.  Whatever you do play with confidence or you'll be
roasted at most jazz jams.

You need to study ii-v turnarounds because that is the root of most
jazz progressions.  If you can't read then at the minimum you need to
know the 3rd and 7th of every chord on the chart and play those notes
to fake your way through.  Jazz is about mixing texture, shape,
dynamics, velocity and lyricism. With jams, it's mostly about what
you've got in your head and not neccesarily your soul though the best
cats utilize both - check out michael brecker.

Jazz doesn't come off well in 1-2-3rd positions.  You need to learn
4, 11 and 12th jazz most jazz is easier to play in those positions.

Get a copy of the real book I have a copy if you want to borrow it.