Re: was RE: jazz jam, top three - it's an uphill battle

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Michalek" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <HarmonicaTeacher@xxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 8:03 AM
Subject: was RE: jazz jam, top three - it's an uphill battle

> First off,  I have yet to attend a decent jazz jam in our area -
> Almost all of jazz cats I've met locally are not very
> capable....maybe you were some place different then I've been so let
> me know where you went and I'll join you next time.
>
> Even with mediocre jazzers, as a diatonic harmonica player you will
> have an uphill battle to gain respect. Everybody immediately thinks a
> person can't play jazz on the harp - most can't. You're not helping
> your situation by being a good coutry and blues guy with limited jazz
> knowledge.  What you need to do it learn a couple of easy standards
> and be able to play them in whatever key the band wants.  YOU have to
> be the flexible one and YOU have to be the better musician if you
> want any respect. In the jazz community, without respect, you're as
> good as dead.
>
> I suggest you learn:
> Blue Bossa
> Autumn Leaves
> My Funny Valentine
> Lady be good
> and learn to play a jazz blues.
>
> you could even try impressions or so what and switch harps the the 4
> bar 1/2 step change.
>
> These are all very simple songs and if played well, few will question
> your jazz ability.  Whatever you do play with confidence or you'll be
> roasted at most jazz jams.
>
> You need to study ii-v turnarounds because that is the root of most
> jazz progressions.  If you can't read then at the minimum you need to
> know the 3rd and 7th of every chord on the chart and play those notes
> to fake your way through.  Jazz is about mixing texture, shape,
> dynamics, velocity and lyricism. With jams, it's mostly about what
> you've got in your head and not neccesarily your soul though the best
> cats utilize both - check out michael brecker.
>
> Jazz doesn't come off well in 1-2-3rd positions.  You need to learn
> 4, 11 and 12th jazz most jazz is easier to play in those positions.
>
> Get a copy of the real book I have a copy if you want to borrow it.

Hi,
I certainly do NOT consider myself a jazz player by any stretch of the
imagination (being a much more traditional blues player and DAMNED proud of
it), but I concur with Chris's post here because it it's a whole different
ballgame from doing blues and country, and I also have a copy of the Real
Book and I find it very helpful. One has to remember that when you go into a
genre you aren't completely familiar with, what's right in one genre is
wrong in another, so different skills and musical mindsets are necessary and
need to be developed, including FEEL.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA