RE: jazz jam, keys

<<>I got some surprised looks when I called a tune, and
was informed that
"the
>right key is..."
<<<

In general, standards are usually performed in the key of the original
composition, e.g. "Body and Soul" is generally performed in Db, "Willow
Weep for Me" in G, etc.  It's not unusual for a band to adjust the key
to accomodate a singer, but instrumentalists don't usually get that much
slack.

A good fake book (like the Berklee School of Music's "Real Book") will
supply jazz standards in the appropriate key.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
http://www.hunterharp.com