RE: 11 and 12 diatonic

Robert Hale worte:

>>If I wanted to explore 11th and 12th position diatonic, I would grab
>>golden melody in the key of C, then play 11th in Bb, and 12th in F,
>right?
>>(whew!)
>>
>>What's happening in positions 7th thru 10th?

Yes that's right. You don't want to mess with 7-10 right now as
you're looking at keys that have a i-iv-v notes based on a bend or
overblow - 11th is that way too but much easier to play.

When you get into more difficult tune like Body and Soul then you'll
need to traverse through some of those positions. I've found that
song is easiest to play in Db on G harp.

The way I initially learned to play in other positions ie: 12th was
to take a Bb harp and play a 2nd pos lick. Then bust out my C harp
and play it on there. Once you start understanding the relationship
between the notes you'll figure out how the positions are related to
each other.

Playing in 12th is very much like playing in 3rd but 11th is also
like playing in 12th. And 12th is like playing in 1st which is like
4th which is like 5th which is like 2nd etc....

4th (a on c) is similar to 1st (c on c)
5th (e on c)is close to 2nd (g on c)

after a while it doesn't matter and all that does is sound, shape,
texture and rhythm which is like music....

Its all a very big and convoluted circle that is very clear at the
same time which is like a hurricane.

you dig?