Re: Learning to Overblow

George Brooks wrote:
> Even I believe that I could now teach a motivated student to
> overblow in a fraction of the time it took me to learn.

In my humble opinion, based on my own experience, learning to
overblow involves a total approach to playing, not just learning a
new technique.  I struggled for a year with just learning to get an
overblow consistently, and finally discovered how to breathe through
the harp from the lungs rather than playing from the mouth (although
I already *thought* I was doing that!).  This is essential in order
to keep from choking notes unintentionally, and to be able to control
the choking for the overblow.  I agree completely that it would have
been far easier to learn from someone that to discover it for myself,
particularly the curve of adjusting the harp and trying again, over
and over, narrowing in on the right setup.  Many players won't want
to learn this level of harpcraft, they just want to play the damn
thing.

> But more people are doing it every year.  I understand that a
> number of them will be at SPAH this year.

Jason Ricci, for one, who will be talking about how to integrate
overblows into more traditional 2nd postion playing for blues, R&B,
funk, etc.  I can't wait (I hope I can make it!)

- -tim