Re: Learning to Overblow

>From: "Chris Michalek" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Overblowing is clearly useful to
>those that play any style of music and should not nessitate a change
>in approach. Afterall, each one of the overblow/draw notes are
>available somewhere else on the harp.
>
>I think the real issue is a modulation from our personal comfort
>zones.

I don't think I would find overblowing much use to me in traditional Irish
tunes, particularly the fast dance tunes with fast note runs with a lot of
rapid changes of air direction.  When I set up a harp with gaps smaller than
I've been accustomed to I found reeds choking all over the place.  If you
know of anyone that plays my kind of stuff with anything more than
occasional overblows in occasional tunes I should like to hear from them.  I
know that James Conway overblows but I'd risk betting that he doesn't do it
much in the fast music - and a lot of the slower stuff, such as many of
Carolan's tunes,is pretty diatonic anyway.  I don't mind modulating from my
personal comfort zone but I don't want that to mean that I have to go back
to square one!

Steve

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica