RE: Projecting

>Cutting through fiddle tune sessions with harmonica is a major challenge.
>There are a number of techniques that can help with this. I'll mention two
>of these.
>
>Firstly, a good custom harmonica will solve many problems. Simply put,
>an instrument that a master craftsman has spent a day preparing has
>got to be louder and more responsive than one out of the box. I use
>Neil Graham harmonicas (www.neilgraham.com.au). They cost more,
>but provide great value. Given that fiddle tunes are played in a limited
>ranges of keys, you can get by with just a few instruments (I have 4).
>I rarely need to push my custom harmonicas hard to cut through loud
>acoustic sessions.
>
>Secondly, alternate tunings do make fiddle tunes easier. There are
>many ways to tackle this. Brendan Power has developed a tuning
>called "Paddy Richter", which simplifies first position playing. You
>can check it out in his book, "Play Irish Music on the Blues Harp",
>available at www.brendan-power.com  (highly recommended). I have
>a different approach to harmonica tunings, which is is outlined at my
>site, www.harmonicatunes.com  You can also hear some fiddle tunes
>at this site, played on retuned custom instruments.
>
>Tony Eyers
>Australia
>www.harmonicatunes.com

Hi Tony

There's no doubt in my mind that working on cutting through unamplified is
well worth the effort, getting a good, well-projected volume and clear tone.
You get the most natural sound that blends beautifully with the other
instruments.  I usually end up in pretty noisy pub environments though, with
the clientele not necessarily attending too closely to the musical fare on
offer, and what's more there are often six or seven other musicians all
going for it.  In such circumstances I use a mic and small amp, and the
other guys welcome this.  It's a delicate matter, but my ego isn't that big
and they know that I'm just trying to level up to them.  I love that time
towards the end of the evening when the noisier elements have gone and I can
dispense with the electrics.  I suppose I don't help myself by playing a Sp
20 in low D for most of the time, but I love being at the same pitch as the
fiddle player(s).

Paddy Richter, or your altered tuning (which I haven't tried yet but will!),
is well-nigh essential for Irish on diatonics. Unless you want to go for the
12-hole route or solo-type tuning.  Hmmm.

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger