Re: Hering´s Professional . 40 Chromatic Harmonica and Vintage 40

Yesterday I received my Hering Vintage 40 chrom (in C)....
Well, if you think of a 1923 vintage harp as improved.customized Marine Band
than this chrom is a perfect customized Hohner Koch .

Richter tuning, nicely rounded off edges, airtight, easy bends, no rattling
windsavers, wonderful look, small mouthpiece with rounded holes,
equal tuning at 443 hz..and not as "bright" sounding as other hering chroms.
They sound like a improved/customized hohner 270. The wood won't swell
because it's the same wood as used on the 1923's. I haven't measured the
reedplates thickness but the harp feels quite "heavy" , so...thick
reedplates(??)

Tomorrow I'll play the vintage 40 during a gig( no breaking-in for me!) and
I'll review it again on monday.

It hasn't been mentioned before but the 1923 can be improved with some
customizing.
I always emboss the reedslots, change reed shape, regap the whole harp,
retune to a compromised tuning and round of the front corners of the reeds.
I set them up for overblow/draw but still can play them agressiv if needed.

It took me while to get used to them, but right now they are my nr.1 choice.
If anyone wants to buy a "customized" 1923 (the "Ben"ding Machine), please
contact me off-list...

Ben Bouman
Holland
www.marbletones.com