Re: Learning to Overblow

From: "Chris Michalek" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Learning to Overblow
<quote>
If your harps are choking up then your don't have them gapped
properly for your playing. And if you can overblow with the gaps
tuned to your style then you have issues with your overblow
technique.  We all know that playing an instrument it 95% the player
and not the equipment.
</quote>

Quote from Richard Hunter's webpage
Recently linked to by Mark Crowley
in the "11 and 12 diatonic" thread:
http://www.hunterharp.com/buckey99.html

<quote Richard Hunter>
... [I] was impressed by Howard's ability to mix straight, overblown, and
bent pitches in complex lines played at very high speeds, and we talked at
length about 1) overblowing technique and 2) breathing technique. Howard
advised me that half of overblowing is setting the harp up properly; in
response to my question about whether he could reliably get all the
overblown pitches on every harp, his answer was yes, mostly. (Meaning no,
sometimes.) ... 8<
</quote>

- -- G.