Re: Learning to Overblow

>Stephen Shaw:

>Which of Brendan's tunes did you use overblows in?  On "New Irish
>Harmonica"
>he plays diatonic on just two tracks and I don't recall overblows being
>needed.  He used half-valved diatonics, if my memory serves me.  On all the
>other tracks he uses chromatics.  See sleeve notes.
>8<
>
>Hey Stephen,
>   Highly likely Brendan was using an altered tuning(s) for the recording -
>he's a strong advocate of making the instrument suit the musician and
>proven
>the musical value of altered tunings, some of which he's come up with.
>   Whereas Chris would be using his own harmonica setup of choice for the
>exercise.
>
>Cheers,
>G.

Hello G.

Exactly.  Brendan uses altered tunings and I don't think you'll find too
many overblows on that album.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Brendan excels in Irish music by means of superb clarity of tone, pitch and
articulation.  I wish he were here to either back me up or shoot me down,
but I think he decided to do this with altered tunings or valved diatonics
and NOT by significant use of overblowing.  I think we should remember all
those poor people who read the Harp-L posts who are not right up there at
the cutting edge of harmonica-playing (the vast majority I suspect) but who
are more than capable of making damn good music all the same.  I sometimes
wonder what they must be making of all this overblow stuff, put up here by a
few alpha-grade players who seem to want to put forth the idea that
harp-playing isn't complete without overblowing.  It just ain't true, is it?
  Of course we need players who extend the boundaries, and I have nothing
but admiration for them.  But I hear much sweet music made by good folks who
play within their existing limits, sensitively and with respect for their
tradition, without worrying about whether they're up there with the
latest-discovered technicalities.  Some of 'em even have eyes that glaze
over at the very thought of "positions," never mind overblows!

I mean, if you wanted to get all the notes, you could always get a
chromatic....  #;-)

Steve.

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger