Re: Projecting

Hurricane Ramon wrote:

>I switched from the Hohner Marine Band & Blues Harp at that point to the Old Stand By . I
>first learned of the Old Stand By from seeing James Cotton live here in Palm Springs Southern
>California using them  in 1964

It might be worth noting that the harp currently bearing the name "Old
Standby" has very little in common with the harp that used to be made
under that name. The old Old Standby was essentially a Marine Band
with different covers. The new Old Standby is part of Hohner's Chinese
series and is more or less the same harp as the Pocket Pal, GLH, Blues
Band, etc.

In addition to all the other good comments about projection, I would
add that effective use of the hands can dramatically improve acoustic
volume without adding undue stress to the reeds. This method is most
often associated with Douglas Tate and I give some hints for
developing this technique here:

http://www.patmissin.com/uncommon/uncommon06.html

 -- Pat.