Re : jazz jam

Keith Freeman <keith.freeman@xxxxxxxxxx> Sez :

Excerpt

&

>There's no shame, though, in restricting yourself to a particular style >or genre. With such a vast unexplored field in front of you I think it >makes sense to focus on a limited area first.

Hurricane Sez ,

Hello Keith :

Too true , you gotta love it , the amount of time involve is staggering to many who find that fact out , and as the saying goes ,
" Many are called but few are chosen " .

The dedication revolving around Jazz is no more or less as intense as a classic musician's regime in exercises and hours of practice . It's got to be the very first thing on your mind when you wake up and the  last thing your thinking of as you go to sleep . If you don't love it to the core you will drop out and that brings me to my next comment .

Every really cool Jazz musician I know and or worked with or for , like for instance Charlie Beale who played piano for Louie Armstrong's
" Hot Five " , ( and there are some not so cool ones too , but for now - - forget about them ) always gravitate towards really seasoned and talented Blues artists , why you asked ? . Because these talented  Blues artists who are disciplined , have a really good technique , and a strong image of how things fall into place musically are not so far from Jazz to begin with . A talented Blues musician is a natural for learning Jazz , this is a solid truism that hold up , as I learned of this from Jazz artists like Charlie Beale and others like him . I'm not saying all Blues musicians though , it takes a mind that is free and open to digest the many new twists and turns Jazz has for you to learn and retain . The rest is easy and that easy part is " time " ,  and how much of it you dedicate to the Jazz genre in your first beginnings .

I believe that the harder you practice the better you are at your instrument  , because you play the way you practice .

Sincerely :

HR

aka :

BlusManCane@xxxxxxxxxxxx