An old chromatic

I have a chromatic that was purchased at a yard sale, back in the =
seventies.  It is like one I had in the fifties, so I believe it is =
around the same age.  It has great tone, compared to my newer ones, but =
is getting kinda tired sounding.  If I have it rebuilt with a new comb, =
will this diminish that tone?  In other words is that tone frome the =
comb or the reedplates, which are heavier than the new ones?  I really =
don't want to lose that sound.  It is a richer tone than the newer ones. =
 Bullfrog