Re: Thicker reedplates = louder?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Freeman" <keith.freeman@xxxxxxxxxx>

> I've often read that thicker reedplates make for a louder sound. Why
should this be?

The differences in loudness and tone attributable to reedplate thickness are
imperceptible. In a blind listening comparison of machine-blown harps, you
probably could not tell the difference between standard and thicker plates.

Consider the technical possibilities:

It is possible that more massive reedplates absorb slightly less mechanical
energy from the reed.  However, there is a very large source of energy
available in the airstream.  The player can make up the difference by
blowing slightly harder.  This would appear to the player as a tiny
difference in responsiveness and would be inaudible to the listener.

The reeds of the lower notes pass completely through the reed plates and
exit the other side allowing a slight puff of air to escape.  With equal
amplitude reed vibration, the reed spends slightly less time beyond the
backside of a thicker plate.  This could conceivably affect the tone.
However the differences in thickness are so slight that the effect on the
reed opening as a function of time is miniscule.

> If  the reeds themselves were thicker, that would make some sense to me,

Thicker reeds might be slightly louder, but they would be much less
responsive.  Because you would have to blow your brains out to make them
sound, you would hate them. Hering reeds are slightly thinner than Hohner
reeds.  Most players recognize a major difference in responsiveness and a
very slight difference in loudness.

> but how do the reedplates affect the volume?

They don't perceptibly affect volume.

Among wind instrument and harmonica musicians there are many cherished myths
regarding materials, plate thickness, cover shapes, etc.  Considerations
that are important in stringed instruments do not apply to harmonicas.
However, in seeking market differentiation, manufacturers tout these myths
and musicians, entranced by the idea of a harmonica mystique, believe them.
IMO, there is a lot of baloney about harps out there!

The important hardware differences lie in leakiness, tuning, and gapping.
The all-important variables are the player's embouchure and breath control.

Vern

Visit my harmonica website: www.hands-free-chromatic.7p.com