Re: overblows - doing it

Thanks, Chris,

>>> Chris Michalek <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/24/04 01:09am >>>

A long time ago in a state far far away I wrote a little ditty on how
to play the overblows

http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/diatonic/overblows.shtml

I hope it helps....

it's already printed out and nested in my - what 'overblowers do' folder - along with printed copies of just about every damn webpage on earth to do with the  &^%$ing things. - currenlty juggling back and forth between that page, tinus', some of G's stuff and some of Mike Stevens bluegrass book

There's a lot of variables i'm juggling of which i don't fully understand or that well versed - eg, pucker blowbends, gapping....

it's pretty much what George brooks stated - something like beginner drivers jumping into dodgy cars and can't understand why they can't hold a straight line down the freeway...

still endeavouring though it's probably a case of a "laying on of hands" required at this point  - i'd settle for a lump of 4x2 if it worked - knowing a few who would gladly queue for that...

will be spending more time with this Special 20 as per Pierre's advice and then see about getting a Golden Melody and jamming up the blow reed (as have done with this thing)  if i can't get beyond this 'ring thing' in a fortnight.

my pucker embouchre sucks but i can get by with blowbends on it- but I thought that it was easier getting them with pucker blowbends so there's obviously another part of the car not bolted on and dragging along the asphalt.

what a wreck - make mad max look like a gentle Sunday drive

I was thinking last night - maybe there is a slight market for an overblow 'jig' - a cheap harmonica body with just one hole with a blow reed and a draw reed

- - the draw reed gapped to the optimum gap for those overblow bends

- - maybe a button that when depressed closes the blow reed in its slot - once the beginner gets that draw reed bend playing they can leave the button out and then work on bending the blow reed down with their breath - so you are learning actually "ass about' in sequence to what the actual play technique is - but you could isolate where yr screwing up.

its not to actually play, just to help train to get one overblow.

who knows?  i sure don't

crowley