¿ Re : Re: Thicker reedplates = louder ?

Ladies & Gents :

While reading this thread I had to throw in a consideration or at least a point to be pondered on to some degree .

What I have noticed in regards to increased sound levels with the thicker reed plates and other things involving the thickening of a reed plate's surface area share some what of an affinity to the same thing in a round about way that applies to guitar strings and the introduction of added mass to the head stock of a given acoustic and or electric guitar .

1st correlation :

The heavier gauged string guitar player usually revolves in the type player who is a Jazz and or acoustic guitar player ( there are others , but that's really not important  in this issue ) who has to compete with louder  instruments sans electric sound amplification , by using a heavier gauge string(s) ( heavier gauge =  mass ) and getting more of what he needs in increased sound volume to compete with the louder instruments .

2nd correlation :

There is a guitar accessory that is relatively new ( or at least to me ) to the guitar . It is a simple devise that is compromised of a low profile
" C "  type  heavy weighted metal clamp assembly maybe an inch wide and and inch and a half long and with a jaw profile just big enough to close over at the end of the guitar's neck end head stock and is not noticeably present to an unaware individual(s) over all viewing of the guitar player even at a short distance . The premise is that the added metal mass to the guitars neck causes the guitar to project more volume due in part to the added mass at the top of the head stock at the machine heads thus helping to "increase " the volume of sound coming from the vibrations from the strings , neck , & guitar body assembly acoustically or electronically . And they do make a difference , many professional  musicians use them on other stringed instruments besides the guitar .

My humble conclusion :

These two things of the heavier stings and added mass at the guitar head stock with the metal clamp  to me share a relevance to the question of the difference of sound volume and characteristics that are being discussed here between all parties pro or con .

I do hear the differences between the modified diatonic's and the chromatics in their thicker ( added mass ) reed plates . but then I could be wrong ? I don't think so , and when I found these things I mentioned of the guitar to be real and true , what I thought I believed to be the same in the harmonica's louder or maybe clearer and more dominant sounding with the added mass of the thicker plates seems to gain more credence to me . One thing I have noticed personally is another type of mass introduction to the acoustic guitar and getting more sound volume is a simple little trick ,  by touching a  wall like "dry wall "  plaster board  with the guitar head's head stock gently but firmly produces an added increase to the guitar's sound volume , I have wondered if I try this with my chromatic against the same type interior  wall would give me an added sound volume with the added mass of the wall like the guitar's same reaction ? Not at all practical I full  well know , its jus!
t another thing that makes me agree with the pro's on the added difference of more mass = more area of sound to project from . ¿ Makes my mind go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-That's it folks :)

HR

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com