RE: Very small amp

- ----Original Message Follows----
From: "Martin Oldsberg" <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

If you go to jams etc, it´s handy to have a small sized amp to bring along,
preferably battery operated.
    I have unsuccessfully tried to get a passable sound out of a Danelectro
Honeytone and various other miniature gadgets, but with no acceptable
results - even with modest expectations regarding "bottom"etc. (I settle for
a clean sound w. warmth, instead of distortion.)
    Tall order, I know, but does anyone have any encouraging experiences
whatsoever in this area?

   Cheers,
    Martin

Hi Martin

I have a Yamaha VA10 amp, which cost me £100 a year ago (this kind of thing
is usually much cheaper in the US).  It is 12" wide by 9" tall and 6" deep,
and weighs 8 and a half pounds WITH batteries fitted (I just checked it on
my kitchen scales).  It has a nice brown leather carry-handle.  It can be
run on batteries OR from the mains.  It has lots of built-in effects which
are very controllable and switch-offable, including distortion, chorus and
delay (I find that one very useful).  It has separate volume, bass, middle
and treble controls.  I can get more than enough volume from it even in a
noisy pub (I think it's rated at 6 watts) and the tone is surprisingly full.
  It works well with my green bullet or with a tiny lapel mic that I use
hand-held.  I find it quite easy to get a clean sound (which I want).  The
only drawback is that it uses 6 D Cell batteries, which are not cheap, but
they do last very well unless you're trying to fill the Albert Hall.

Some speak highly of the little Pignose battery amp, which is considerably
smaller, but I haven't tried it.

Take your mic to the shop and try any prospective amp at the sort of volume
you want.  Even better, take a friend for a second opinion.  I play mostly
single-note melodies, but one problem you could have with some small amps is
a horrible distorted squawking sound when sounding two or three notes at a
time.  I'll have the fine-tuning experts on to me now for saying that.

Steve Shaw

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica