Re: Super 64 - larry adler

Delurking for a part of this.  I'm a complete newbie, still figuring out
how to get out single notes instead of the chords I don't want.  Went to
see some guy who plays with a harp club at the Jersey Shore and got a
variation of how you get to Carnegie Hall: "Practice, practice."  So am,
it's starting to come.  But there's this--

At 08:11 PM 3/25/2004, Mark Crowley wrote:

>had to drop by another store and there was a larry adler cd in a bargain
>bin outside for a couple of bucks
>
>while i had heard of the guy - had never actuall heard him.

That was part of the motivator to pick the instrument up at my age (I have
one advantage over Adler--I'm still alive).  When I was a kid, my parents
owned a ton of shellac.  You know: 78s.  Mostly the 10-inch variety.

One of them was this guy named Larry Adler playing something called "Hora
Staccato."  I was six years old.  I'm 60 now.  I never forgot it.  Not the
melody but the idea that you could take an instrument you could buy for a
buck (when I was a kid) and make those kinds of incredible sounds.

>i still couldn't figure out what key he was playing for 'blues in the
>night' and 'summertime' - i have no idea whether he was switching keys or
>whatever he was doing but while I could seem to play along with the
>accompanying band i definitely wasn't 'with' larry at all.
>
>its very magic stuff.

You probably have the same CD I paid a bit more for.  Rats.  Summertime
particularly is unbelievable.  I've heard Adler commissioned pieces he
could play with symphonic ensembles.  I don't think I've got a blues bone
in my body but I've got Adler on the brain.

Ken

"If you think you're in control, try giving orders to your cat."--Anonymous
Kenneth
Wolman        http://www.kenwolman.com           http://kenwolman.blogspot.com