Re: Thicker reedplates/Projection

"I am still unclear how this differs (or differs not?)
from a flute, pennywhistle etc., "

Hi everyone,

   forgive my ignorance, but isn't one of the main
differences between a harmonic and a wind instrument
like a flute or sax that the pitch of the note is
determined in those instruments by the length of the
column of air in the instrument, whereas on a
harmonica, the column of air in question is actually
inside the players body, and what affects the pitch is
the individual reed on the harmonica that's being
played?
  in other words, for a sax, say, there's the one
reed, agitating the air. it doesn't really have a
pitch. the pitch comes from the length of the air
column (determined by which holes are open on the sax.
when you open a hole, it shortens the column, when you
close it, the column is lengthened - very generally
speaking). on the other hand, the harmonica has many
vibrating reeds, each with a fixed pitch. the column
of air, being the player, is relatively unchanged (i
suppose bends are an exception to this). you can have
the same length column of air produce 2 different
pitches just by switching the reed that you are
blowing or drawing.

    is this correct?

       --Jp