RE: Coffee cup mute

> What exactly is this?  I may have missed an earlier post? Thanks
> Hambone

Get a coffee cup...the kind that has a handle shaped a bit like an "ear"
seems best (handle is bigger at the top).
Put your right-hand ring & pinky fingers through the handle, up to the first
knuckle (palm).
Wrap the bottom edge of your right hand around 1/2 the cup's rim.
Now, grasp your harmonica in your left hand, like you would if you were
going to cup a mic: Low end of the harmonica in the web of your left hand,
forefinger on top of the cover, thumb underneath.
Now put your hands together as though the coffee cup is your mic. Seal your
hands around the cup real tight & play. You'll get a VERY muted effect -
much moreso than hand-cupping. Try opening the  mute either at the bottom
edge of your left hand, or between your wrists - experiment!

I've been told (and shown) that the shape & size of the cup are VERY
important. try experimenting with this & see if there's a particular
key/pitch harmonica that really emphasizes the mwOW effect. If it sounds
only slightly different from your "usual" cupping, you haven't got the right
cup yet.

I guarantee if you find the right cup, that puppy will end up in your
gig-bag, and you'll whip it on your harp-playing buddies at the first
opportunity!
- -Scorcher
(Still seeking my perfect coffee cup)
PS: I'm pretty sure it's bad form to try this at the local IHOP......
;-)