Re: chromatic blues

In a message dated 01/03/04 20:18:04 GMT Standard Time, jevern@xxxxxxx writes:

> On a single chromatic harp, you can play any song in any key but the
> blow/draw/button pattern will be different for the same song played in
> various keys. If we assume that you are a superior musician and have
> practiced your scales in all keys and are familiar with the concept of key
> signatures, then you only need a C chromatic.  However, these assumptions do
> not apply to everyone.
>
> There are several reasons to own chromatics in keys other than C:

Dear Vern & Harp-L,
I do so agree with you...
I work with a full set of 12 Hohner 270 Super Chromonicas....  Plus a double
set of  24 diatonics... and a few "special tunings "... This is Not because I
am unable to play in any key but "C" on a "C" harp...But because I will often
learn a piece in a particular key, play it in that key for a while and then,
at athe next gig, be told "That key is wrong..... Please play it in a different
key "... then it is OH SO EASY if you have an instrument in that different
key...
OK... I admit... I mostly play by ear, and I am one of the world's worst
"sight readers "...
But I do know a reasonable amount of music theory and I can read, albeit
slowly!
I believe it iis the MUSIC that matters... I simply want the sound that I
make with my harmonica to move the folks that hear it....
I am NOT trying to be "clever" with my harmonica playing.. I just want to
make good music!
All the best
John Walden
London