Re: Mutes (was: Coffee Cup)

On Mar 26, 2004, at 11:52 AM, Jp Pagan wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>   as i mentioned to Scorcher before, i once saw Paul
> Oscher use a carboard tube (i think it was from a
> tiolet paper roll) as a mute. he held it and the harp
> in one hand, like you would a mic and harp, and used
> the other hand to cover and uncover the end of the
> roll. or, block the end of the roll with the second
> hand, and open and close the cup from the end of the
> roll nearest the harp. sounded cool to me. i think i
> heard once that Big Walter used to do that trick too.
>
>    --Jp

    The "trick" has been around since neanderthal times. Og used to use
a hollowed out bone.
Seriously, this is a VERY prevalent method in PRISONS. It seems that
some convicts don't like the sound of harmonica because it reminds them
of the (stereotypical) scene depicting their miserable plight. To this
end they tend to open up a can of woop-ass on anyone playing one.

  The (always resourceful) prisoner(s) came up with a method to either
direct the sound away from anyone they didn't intend to hear it, or
simply direct the sound back into their general facial area. I have
been using this method for eons and anyone witnessing a performance by
one Wizard of Winslow (Yerxa) will notice him sometimes (but rarely)
using a "Chef's" condiment cup (stainless steel, I believe).  One must
stand a little to the side of the mic to project the proper amount of
sound. Naturally, the hands play a HUGE part in the shaping of the
"richochetted" tones.

  I always use a cheap supermarket aluminum measuring cup. First of all,
unlike a beer or soft drink can it isn't "rolled" back at the top. Of
course, one could remove the roll back and go from there. I
(personally) would put tape around the lip so as not to lacerate my
mouth. In any case, the thinner (seems to be) the better BUT a point is
reached whereas the cup just won't hold up to ANY abuse and crinkles
badly. NOT so with a measuring cup. It is just thin enough and the
measurements are "pressed in" therefore giving the needed strength

  One could also try various "votive" cups. These are the gizmos where
candles are placed and lit. Some are made of almost shell-like glass
and resonate nicely. Another deal is the famous wear-ever ALUMINUM
"Glasses?" made during the 40s and 50s. These come in bright
colors,(Gold, Blue, Orange, Green, Yellow, etc.) Mine happens to be
Yellow (matching my personality :). I find them to be a little too
thick but they do do the job.

  In conclusion, there have been countless illustrations over the years
from various harmonica advertisements showing how to "get a beautiful
tone" and these depict a dude holding a glass on a 45o angle to his
face while playing a marine band sized music muffin.

  smokey joe