Re: Coffee cup mute

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:10:13AM -0800, Scorcher wrote:
> > What exactly is this?  I may have missed an earlier post? Thanks
> > Hambone
>
> Get a coffee cup...the kind that has a handle shaped a bit like an "ear"
> seems best (handle is bigger at the top).

When I started taking lessons (not all that long ago...) my teacher
suggested a 6 oz. tomato paste can with a hole drilled in the non-open end
(to let the sound out) and a fat rubber band near the open end (for grip)
as a substitute for getting a mic and amp (you know, just in case you
didn't continue on with the lessons).  It seemed to work well, at least
with a "C" harp.  Of course, smelling the tomato paste got to me after
a while.  Yes, it was emptied and cleaned before trying to play it,
but still stinky when heated with hot, moist breath, though! :)

jaime