Re: rounding reeds, a question...

>From my point of view, I can't tell you if it's really good or a bad thing. What I see is that this process help to get a lower gap, whatever is the reason why. It works well for me. I don't say that it is good for all player, I just think for me, only me.
Meanwhile, still remains the subjective question of comfort. I think you must put the comfort at the first rank of your playing. Then, everything becomes very subjective.
Some people prefer to use very very thick reed-plates. Personnally, I don't cause I am not comfortable, whatever is the effect on the sound.
I personnally think that if you have a comfortable instrument, it is easier to get and play what you want, rather than with a very high quality instrument that you do not like. That's for this reason that gapping is such great question! Some people play amazingly well with a gap that I could'nt even get a sound with it.

So, Pat is right in the way that this setting make the harmonica less airtight. Meanwhile, it helps to get a lower gap which make the harmonica airtight and very responsive to my playing.

The point is not to decide who is right. It is to talk about stuff and try it, and to know which one fits best to the player.

Froggy

Fernando Bresslau <bresslau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One benefit not mentionedyet, is that you are then sure that the corners of the reed won´t touch the reedplate slot edeges in any point. Sometimes there that crooked reed that won´t center correctly in the slot, unless you takeit off, correct the hole placement and put it on again, prefereably with a small screw instead of a rivet, for better placement.
Anyway, the tiny gap I create is very, very small. Like tip scooping, it might be a way of lowering the gap of that 2 draw reed of a G or A harp that is hitting the cover.
Abraços,
Fernando
- ----- Original Message -----
From: ludo beckers

Hi Ben, Nicholas, Fernando, Steve and all

I asked Pat what his opinion is on the practise of rounding the reedtips, and as I understood he doesn't see the benefit of it.
He also said that:
"Hohner went through a phase where the reeds on their diatonics had the corners cut off - they were all leaky as hell."

I tried it on 2 harps (old Meisterklasse and sp.20), and indeed noticed I could force the gap considerably lower, but Pat suggested this may be due to actually creating leakiness through this taking off  of material.

Ludo

Nicolas Fouquet
Frog's Workshop
'Makes ya feel great!