Re: Popper correction...

On Mar 27, 2004, at 2:32 PM, M. N. wrote:

> smokey joe wrote:
> "I think the name was chosen as a cash-in angle."
>
> ==========================
>
> Cash-in angle!? You're saying when Blues Traveller chose that name,
> they were hoping to cash in on the blues gravy train?

   OK, why WOULD someone pick THAT name. a. It DOES have a harmonica
front man. I don't (especially) feel that Blues is a gravy train, It's
kinda like Jazz. Fairly low following. Mostly Fanatics.
It's like they asked the Harp player what he woul. He said he would
keep on performing till the money ran out.d do if he won the Power Ball

>  Right. Most blues acts these days travel hundreds of miles in crappy,
> crowded vans to the next underpaid one-nighter just for tax reasons

   Right. I recently went north for a couple weeks. Did a gig in Buffalo
(nearly froze to death). Did a gig in Cleveland (all covered in ice).
When I got back to Pittsburgh (where I used to live), I had to cancel
that gig because I was walking on 2-3" of soft snow. Problem was: there
had been freezing rain underneath. I did a Greg Louganis head first
into the sidewalk and fractured my skull. I am STILL not right.

   While my Ford isn't exactly an old crappy van, it IS 10 yrs old, has
enough miles to get to the moon AND my total distance (from Fla) was
THOUSANDS of miles. I must admit, though, I wasn't playing blues. No, I
wouldn't say I made out on this trip.

> ; today's blues guys are ACTUALLY all stinkin' rich - they fake a life
> of poverty because they don't want to alert the tax man. LMAO.

   Frankly, I don't see it. You would have to make $1000 a week JUST to
cover expenses/travelling.
Don't see too many blues dudes working more than once a week. Some only
once a month. Look at the GIG list. Don't know what they make per gig,
but unless you have a name, OR to put it more correctly, Built-Up a
name, I think your future in blues looks kinda gloomy.

  Popper HAS built up a name and he deserves any chips that get tossed
his way. The kid is a collosal player. Not exactly MY cup of tea, some
of the material is off thge wall, and above all, (fanfare of trumpets,
please), I really don't like his singing? voice.

>  If Popper and Co. had been looking for a "cash-in angle," they would
> have been just as wise to go with Polka Traveller or Klezmer
> Traveller. ;-)

   Naah, there's no market for Polka music. The Shmenge Brothers used to
sell a thousand albums and (in the Polka world) that is tantamount to a
"Gold" record. Klezmer? I don't know. I like it, but how many folks DO?
That's why I said: "Plethora of Notes Traveler"? "Rock Traveler"?
"Zydeco Traveler"?.....They just don't have the HOOK that a name like
Blues Traveller has.

> Seriously, though, regarding Richard J. Smith's comment that the Blues
> Traveller CD he heard "ain't blues," no kidding - they're not a blues
> band and never claim to be. Neither are the Moody Blues.

   I ABSOLUTELY adore the Moody Blues, but you're right, they are more
"meideval" folk.