Popper influence ... nothin but the best

In a message dated 3/27/04 2:32:57 PM, mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<<
smokey joe wrote:
"I think the name was chosen as a cash-in angle."

==========================

Cash-in angle!? You're saying when Blues Traveler chose that name, they
were hoping to cash in on the blues gravy train? ....

The major significance of John Popper and his band is not that it is driving
people to play the blues but that he is driving people to pick up the
harmonica -- usually those he tosses out at the audience and passes out at his shows...

The more people who think the instrument is hip, the more likely more and
better harmonica musicians will come into the field.

I happen to like his stuff and looked forward  to his once frequent
appearances on the Letterman show ...

Even the bespoken Bob Dylan has his role, as did the early Beatles (their
first several early records featured harp) round the time SPAH was forming (with
a signature harmonica and misidentified mugs on the box) ...

The world is full of unintended outcomes ... some of them are good news.
You may not like Popper's playing or his band ... but stick around ... you
may like the playing of somebody he has inspired to take up the harp...

Phil Lloyd/AHN