Fwd: Steve Baker Special - any hints or tips?

A few things to play around with:

Try playing octaves that involve the "Basement" holes with "regular"
1-2-3-4 holes (which in this harp are really 4-5-6-7).

Try playing tongue-blocked chording (alternating a melody note whith
chords, tongue slaps, etc.) involving the bottom three holes as
chordal support to the next three of four holes..

You have two regions that play identicall y but in consecutive
octaves. Try thinking of licks that start in one area and travel
through the next one, perhaps using identical, repeated motion. A
couple of examples: (1 = hole number; B=blow, D-draw; b = 1 semitone
bend, bb=2 semitone bend)

1D 2B 2D 3Dbb 3D 4b

4D 5B 5D 6Dbb 6D

===OR:

7D 7Db 7B 6D 5D     5Dbb

4D 4Db 4B 3D 2D

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jervis Groeneveld"
<jervis@xxxx> wrote:

Hi,

a few days ago I bought my first Steve Baker Special, I bought one in
the key of C (later I read that they come in a few different keys,
including F which will be my next purchase). I've played it for about
half an hour now, and I think it is a great concept. I was not so
happy
with the embouchure and the reeds need some gapping -some airloss-,
but
overall... I LIKE IT!

Of course I tried to combine chord patterns on the "normal" 1/2/3-
holes
with these patterns on the "lower" 1/2/3-holes and I could achieve
some
nice new sounds that way. But that's of course the obvious first thing
to do.

What I wondered: are there people out there who play the SBS, and
could
you share some not-so-obvious tricks now that you have 3 extra and
wonderful low-holes to the left?

Jervis Groeneveld
Mijehof 271
1106 HH Amsterdam.
Bereikbaar via 020 774 8657 en 06 4231 3333

- --- End forwarded message ---

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org
Hosted by ValuePricehosting.com, http://www.valuepricehosting.com