RE: chromatic blues

John Walden wrote:

> I work with a full set of 12 Hohner 270 Super Chromonicas

I also use 270s in various keys to play Irish music, although I'm =
currently focusing on being able to play everything on a Key of B =
chromatic with the slide pushed in. (Works kind of like a mouth blown =
B/C two-row button accordion.)

I found that it was relatively simple to play in a key that was one =
"slide change" away from the diatonic home key of the harp. For =
instance, a "G" chromatic plays in:

"G" with no slide changes
"D" with one slide change on the C# (you get the F# for free)
"C" with one slide change when you flatten the F# to F Nat

I haven't done the math, but it looks like you could reduce the load in =
your harp case by 3/4 using this method, or at the least have some =
interesting scale pattern options for your 12 keys.

It's actually a lot of fun to work on the major scale notes a fifth =
above the harp's "home" key - for instance: G major on a "C" harp starts =
with G on blow 3, A on draw 3, B on draw 4, an interesting pattern.

I haven't done the math, but it looks like you could reduce the load in =
your harp case by 3/4 using this method, or at the least, have some =
interesting position/scale pattern options for your 12 keys.

Regards,
Bob Laughton