Re : Be-bop and Hard bop Or Spliting Hairs

>smo-joe sez ...

>Catchy title for the group. FWIW, I don't believe anyone exploring
>bee-bop is going to volunteer any info.

Hurricane sez : "Its Time To Split Hairs "

Doc :

Be-bop pre    1950's

Hard-bop post 1950's

This is the division more or less from what I have seen , and as smo-joe sez the different genre's will probably be on opposite passionate sides of the proverbial fence :) I gotta concur with that assesment as well as the division of the pre 1950's Staight A Head Traditional Jazzers vs, Modern Jazzers of the post 1950's , an equally devided group of afisionados and musicians .

When it comes to me , I see only a question of style as Chris Michalek pointed out with the examples of the use of the minor 7ths & major 7ths that appear to add a " Big wide open " feel " in the transistions that incorporates a little more finess and grace . Hard Bop , well its harder edge is demonstrative in that it seems lacking that " grace " of the Be-Boppers addition chord feels ,if that could be said of style contrasts , so I take poetic license and say it :) and fully realize that to some on both sides of the fence , will react quickly and probably stick pins into a voodoo with my looks and name on it LOL .

Sincerely :

HR

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx