Bebop

- --Apple-Mail-4--742134992

Actually, that's not true, regarding bebop. Lots of guys have absorbed
and used bebop stylings - the two major players that spring to mind are
Little Walter and Kim Wilson. Check out some of the phrasing on "Roller
Coaster", "Mellow Down Easy" and others. Check out Wilson's 3rd
position playing on the Smokin Joint CD (can't remember the track title
but it's the looong one where his solo is sandwiched between solos by
Kirk Fletcher and Troy Gonyea). The great thing is both Walter and
Wilson play/ed this sort of phrasing without sacrificing their muscular
tone, something that can't be said for those who favour overblowing.
It's a matter of knowing where you can't go and working with what
you've got - which is actually the same for any great instrumentalist,
IMO.

It's true, however, that diatonic players generally prefer to cop from
riff-based swing players like Lester Young.

For an easy introduction to bebop playing in which it's possible to cop
some cool phrases, check out Cannonball Adderley's LP: "Julian
'Cannonball' Adderley".

Cheers
Andrew

Chris wrote:

> Its really hard to put this stuff in harmonica terms nobody except
> Howard Levy is capable enough to play jazz on the diatonic. The best
> example I can think of is Howard Levy (be-bop) vs Jeff Grossberg
> (hard bop)

- --Apple-Mail-4--742134992

[...]

Chris wrote:

<excerpt>Its really hard to put this stuff in harmonica terms nobody
except

Howard Levy is capable enough to play jazz on the diatonic. The best

example I can think of is Howard Levy (be-bop) vs Jeff Grossberg

(hard bop)

</excerpt>

- --Apple-Mail-4--742134992--